A Certified Information Governance Professional creates and oversees programs to govern the information assets of the enterprise. The IGP partners with the business to facilitate innovation and competitive advantage, while ensuring strategic and operational alignment of business, legal, compliance, and technology goals and objectives. The IGP oversees a program that supports organizational profitability, productivity, efficiency and protection.
The following is a proposed content outline resulting from this Job Analysis: Certified Information Governance Professional Competency Domains
- Managing Information Risk and Compliance - understanding and mitigating information-related risks through such activities as researching and monitoring legal, regulatory and industry-specific compliance requirements; and creating and monitoring internal policies and procedures. The IGP collaborates with stakeholders to determine acceptable risk levels, and then designs and implements methods for measuring and monitoring the effectiveness of the organization's plan to mitigate its risk.
- Developing IG Strategic Plan - developing a strategic plan that demonstrates an indepth understanding of the organization's business goals, corporate culture, financial resources, and commitments.
- Developing IG Framework - establishing the parameters of the organization's IG efforts, including developing policies and standards the organization should meet; defining the authority, roles, and responsibilities the organization must establish; designing IG program communications and training; and developing audit and enforcement mechanisms to ensure the IG program can be measured, controlled, and improved.
- Establishing the IG Program - determining the IG program scope and goals, such as identifying specific program components, acquiring a mandate from executive leadership, establishing reporting requirements, assigning specific roles and responsibilities, establishing specific program metrics and desired outcomes, and implementing and managing the IG program.
- Establishing IG Business Integration and Oversight - aligning the IG strategy and program to enhance business goals, needs, and objectives. The IGP works closely with business units to determine steps for implementing the IG program in their divisions and for ensuring it is monitored and audited periodically to confirm the business is complying with changing laws and to confirm the IG program does not impede the business goals.
- Aligning Technology with the IG Framework - partnering with IT leadership to understand the organization’s technology landscape, the ways technology is used by the business, and how to align the IG and Technology teams’ strategies and operations, including hardware, software, and data lifecycle management. The IGP also evaluates technology trends that affect IG and partners with IT to assess opportunities and threats.