Information Governance Certifications
The ever-expanding field of information governance provides many opportunities for professionals to earn recognition for their skills and knowledge. ARMA International supports professionals in all aspects of information governance and encourages professionals to become recognized for their talents. Professionals may demonstrate their knowledge and skills by earning one or several recognized certifications.
Whether you choose to focus in a specialty area (like privacy and e-discovery), become recognized for your general knowledge in information management, prove your expertise in records management as a CRM, or show that you can lead major information governance initiatives in an organization, ARMA International encourages you to quantify your skills through a quality certification program.
ARMA International is proud to partner with organizations that offer professional certification programs. And as the leader in information governance, ARMA International is pleased to introduce the newest certification in the profession, the Information Governance Professional (IGP) certification. The IGP is not tied to a specific ARMA International product or service and is separately incorporated under an independent governing board for the purposes of maintaining autonomy in all of its certification practices and decisions.
For more information, and for member discounts on testing fees and preparatory resources, select one of the certifications above, or from the list below.
- Information Governance Professional certification (IGP) - ARMA International
- Certified Records Manager (CRM) - Institute of Certified Records Managers (ICRM)
- Certified Specialist in E-Discovery (CEDS) - Association for Certified E-Discovery Specialists
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) - International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Certified Information Professional (CIP) - AIIM International
- Certified Archivist (CA) - Academy of Certified Archivists
- Project Management Professional (PMP) - Project Management Institute
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) - The Institute of Internal Auditors
- Certified Quality Auditor (CQA) - ASQ
- Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT) - ISACA
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) - ISACA
- Certified Internal Auditor (IIA) - Institute of Internal Auditors
- Certified Document Imaging Architect (CDIA+) - compTIA
- PRISM International: Privacy+ Certification Program
- Certified eDiscovery Professional (CeDP) – The Organization of Legal Professionals
- Mobile Shredding Association (MSA) Certification
- NAID AAA Certification - National Association for Information Destruction
What is certification?
Professional certification programs document a specific level of professional knowledge and experience based on established competencies. Such programs are built upon a defined body of knowledge acknowledged as critical for a professional's success in the field. Certification programs have stringent eligibility requirements, including minimum levels of experience and education. Candidates must successfully complete an exam and may have to demonstrate specific skill sets.
Certification programs can be established at many different levels. Advanced certifications are more selective and have more extensive requirements. They are more difficult to achieve and require additional financial investments and substantial preparation time.
Many certification programs also require continuing education in order to maintain the certification. This ensures that certified individuals remain current in their skills and knowledge.
Is a certificate program the same thing as professional certification?
No. It is very common for educational programs, conferences and seminars to provide attendees with a certificate of attendance or completion. Such certificates identify the title and dates of the course(s) taken and the sponsoring organizations.
Certifications listed on this page are not endorsed by ARMA International, and are provided for informational use only.